
Plus, the big winners at the Tonys.
Loading summary
SoFi Advertiser
High interest debt is one of the toughest opponents you'll face unless you power up with a SOFI personal loan. A SOFI personal loan could repackage your bad debt into one low fixed rate monthly payment. It's even got superspeed since you could get the funds as soon as the same day you sign. Visit sofi.compower to learn more. That's s o f I.com P-O-W-E r loans originated by SoFi bank and a member FDIC. Terms and conditions apply. NMLS 696891.
Michael Simon Johnson
From the New York Times, it's the headlines. I'm Michael Simon Johnson in for Tracy Mumford. Today's Monday, June 9th. Here's what we're covering.
Livia Albeck Ripka
My name is Livia. I am a reporter with the New York Times. I'm based in California in Los Angeles, and I'm here at the protests.
Michael Simon Johnson
My colleague Livia Albeck Ripka and others have been on the ground in Los Angeles for days. Federal authorities and local police there have clashed with demonstrators over the Trump administration's crackdown on immigration.
Livia Albeck Ripka
The authorities have been firing crowd control munitions into the crowd, tear gas. The protest just keeps growing and people are chanting, they're holding Mexican flags and we're just waiting to see what happens next.
Michael Simon Johnson
Authorities say they've arrested hundreds of migrants in the LA region in the past few days. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ice, says many of those arrested have criminal backgrounds. The clashes between protesters and authorities kicked off on Friday when ICE officers began combing through Los Angeles Garment District searching for undocumented immigrants. As word of the raid spread, protesters gathered and demonstrations expanded to nearby cities. Some protesters threw eggs, scooters and rocks and aimed fireworks at immigration officers, who responded with pepper spray, flash grenades and foam projectiles.
Karen Bass
But the most important thing right now is that our city be peaceful. And so protests and expressing your, you know, fears, your beliefs is appropriate to do, but it is just not appropriate for there to be violence.
Michael Simon Johnson
And I Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass called on protesters to be peaceful. She spoke after President Trump posted on social media Sunday that LA had been, quote, invaded and occupied by illegal aliens and criminals and that he was taking action to liberate the city. To do that, the president started to deploy National Guard troops. He said he would deploy 2,000 of them by Sunday. Nearly 300 members of the National Guard were in the area and and 500 Marines were put on standby. The move to send in federal troops essentially bypassed the authority of California Governor Gavin Newsom and relied on a rarely used law meant for quelling rebellion against the US Government. On Sunday, Newsom pushed back, calling the move a breach of state sovereignty and demanding that Trump pull the troops off the streets.
Karen Bass
This confrontation between a sitting governor and a sitting president is extraordinary.
Michael Simon Johnson
Adam Nagirney covers national politics and is based in California. He says it's the first time a president has activated a state's National Guard without a request from that governor since 1965, when President Lyndon B. Johnson sent troops to Alabama to protect civil rights protesters.
Karen Bass
Not only did Gavin Newsom formally call on the White House to rescind the order, he accused Trump of taking actions designed to cause strife and stir up tensions, as set off more of the protests that we've seen on the streets of Los Angeles. As long as these demonstrations are going on, it's hard to imagine either man backing down.
Michael Simon Johnson
Now two more quick updates from the Trump administration. First, President Trump's new travel ban went into effect this morning. The ban was first announced last week, and it keeps citizens from 12 countries, mostly in Africa and the Middle east, from entering the U.S. there's also visa restrictions for seven other countries, including Cuba and Venezuela. Some governments have lashed out over the decision, with one Venezuelan official calling the Trump administration fascist. There are exceptions for people who have existing visas or green cards, but those immigrants who are already in the US have have growing concerns about traveling out of the country, and many families are bracing for extended time apart as travel and reunion plans are upended.
Livia Albeck Ripka
And Abrego Garcia has landed in the United States to face justice after months.
Michael Simon Johnson
Of saying that the US Was incapable of returning him to US Soil, Attorney General Pam Bondi announced on Friday that Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia, the man who had been wrongfully deported to El Salvador back in March, is now back in the US to face criminal charges. He's been formally charged with smuggling migrants as part of the street gang MS.13. If convicted, he could face a maximum sentence of 10 years for each person he allegedly transported. This is what American justice looks like. Upon completion of his sentence, we anticipate.
Livia Albeck Ripka
He will be returned to his home.
Michael Simon Johnson
Country of El Salvador. The administration could still face contempt proceedings for its initial refusal to return Abrego Garcia despite a court order, and Abrego Garcia's lawyers are pushing for the judge to continue those proceedings. The Times has learned that YouTube has quietly changed how it moderates content on its platform in the wake of the Trump presidency. After years of removing videos that violated its rules against misinformation and derogatory language, YouTube is now encouraging content moderators to leave those videos up if they are in the public interest. That includes content that focuses on topics like race, sexuality, abortion, immigration and censorship.
Trip Mickle
YouTube didn't make this announcement publicly. We learned about it by reviewing materials that were shared with content moderators. In mid December, as they began to train content moderators about what should stay on YouTube and what should be pulled off.
Michael Simon Johnson
My colleague Trip Mickle covers technology for the times. He says YouTube is following in the footsteps of other social media companies like X and Meta, which have loosened their content moderation rules. The new policy is more lenient to content that is considered educational or has artistic merit. Before, if just a quarter of a video had violated the rules, it was removed. Now, up to half of the content can violate YouTube's policy and remain online.
Trip Mickle
In the course of these training materials, they also provided some examples of what this would look like for content moderators. And one of the videos they talked about was one titled RFK junior Delivers Sledgehammer Blows to Gene Altering Jabs, which of course is a reference to Better vaccines. In the past, this kind of video would have violated YouTube's policy against medical misinformation by incorrectly saying that Covid vaccines could alter people's genes. But in the future, under this new policy, the training material said that the video shouldn't be removed because it was newsworthy, because it was about rfk, the Department of Health and Human Services secretary. And it also mentioned other political figures including Vice President J.D. vance, Elon Musk and Megyn Kelly, which boosted its quote unquote newsworthiness.
Michael Simon Johnson
Tripp says The Times asked YouTube about the changes. The company said they'd only impact a small number of videos, that it retires policies that no longer make any sense, like on Covid, and that their main goal is to protect freedom of expression while mitigating harm.
Trip Mickle
Critics are worried that YouTube joining Meta and X in loosening its policy around content moderation will only fuel the spread of false assertions and potentially increase digital hate speech. Unlike Meta, which has a lot of content that's just written by people and goes directly up, YouTube videos tend to be more time consuming. They're more thoughtful. They're also put up on a platform that has a fairly prestigious brand reputation, one that is kind of validating because people go there for how to videos on everything from like how to hang a curtain rod to how to do yoga. And so when you mix the, you know, these potentially inflammatory videos alongside those kind of like established and well regarded videos, the inflammatory videos could have more standing in the eyes of a viewer. And that's something that critics are a little bit concerned about with this change.
Michael Simon Johnson
And finally, the Tony Awards were last night capping off a banger season for Broadway. It was the highest grossing year on record, not adjusted for inflation, with celebrity driven productions like George Clooney's Good Night and Good Luck and Denzel Washington's Othello breaking box office records with their eye popping and wallet gouging ticket prices. But many of those famous faces went home last night empty handed, or in the case of Denzel, didn't even get nominated. Here are some of the big winners of the night. Maybe Happy Ending, which explores love and relationships through futuristic robots, won best new musical. Sunset Boulevard won best musical revival. And its star, pop singer Nicole Scherzinger, took home a Tony of her own. And Cole Escola beat out George Clooney for best actor, playing an exaggerated version of Abe Lincoln's wife, Mary Todd. After more than a decade of painstakingly avoiding any research, I wrote my historically inaccurate portrait of the bratty, curled first lady. In my version, Mary is a frustrated, alcoholic cabaret performer. It's that classic tale of art imitating life. My life, not hers. Those are the headlines today on the Daily A look at Trump's critical decisions over the past few days involving the protests in Los Angeles and his very public fight with Elon Musk. That's next in the New York Times audio app or listen wherever you get your podcasts. I'm Michael Simon Johnson. We'll be back tomorrow.
The Headlines: Trump Deploys National Guard in L.A., and His Travel Ban Goes Into Effect
Episode Release Date: June 9, 2025
Host: Michael Simon Johnson
Source: The New York Times
Overview
In this episode of The Headlines, hosted by Michael Simon Johnson, The New York Times delves into several pressing issues shaping the national discourse. From the escalating protests in Los Angeles in response to the Trump administration’s immigration policies to significant policy shifts at major tech companies and notable cultural events, this episode provides comprehensive coverage and insightful analysis on events of national importance.
Reporting from the Ground: Livia Albeck Ripka, a New York Times reporter based in Los Angeles, provides a vivid account of the ongoing protests against the Trump administration’s stringent immigration measures. She describes a tense atmosphere where federal authorities clash with demonstrators:
"The authorities have been firing crowd control munitions into the crowd, tear gas. The protest just keeps growing and people are chanting, they're holding Mexican flags and we're just waiting to see what happens next."
(Timestamp: 01:13)
Authorities’ Stance: Michael Simon Johnson explains that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has arrested hundreds of migrants in the LA region over recent days, citing many with criminal backgrounds. The situation intensified when ICE conducted raids in the Los Angeles Garment District, leading to widespread protests that have since spread to neighboring cities. Protesters have responded with aggressive tactics, leading to a heavy-handed response from authorities, including the use of pepper spray, flash grenades, and foam projectiles.
Calls for Peace: Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass urges for non-violent demonstrations amidst the chaos:
"But the most important thing right now is that our city be peaceful. And so protests and expressing your, you know, fears, your beliefs is appropriate to do, but it is just not appropriate for there to be violence."
(Timestamp: 02:07)
Presidential Intervention: In a controversial move, President Trump announced via social media that Los Angeles has been "invaded and occupied by illegal aliens and criminals," pledging to "liberate the city" by deploying the National Guard. This decision marks the first instance since 1965, when President Lyndon B. Johnson deployed troops to Alabama, where a president activated a state’s National Guard without the governor’s request. Adam Nagirney, a national politics correspondent, highlights the unprecedented nature of this action.
Governor’s Response: Governor Gavin Newsom of California vehemently opposes Trump's decision, labeling it a breach of state sovereignty and demanding the immediate withdrawal of federal troops. Mayor Karen Bass remarks on the rare confrontation between a sitting governor and president:
"This confrontation between a sitting governor and a sitting president is extraordinary."
(Timestamp: 03:12)
The standoff has heightened tensions, making it unlikely that either party will concede easily as protests continue to unfold across Los Angeles.
President Trump’s highly anticipated travel ban took effect on June 9, 2025. The policy bars citizens from twelve countries, predominantly in Africa and the Middle East, from entering the United States and imposes visa restrictions on seven additional nations, including Cuba and Venezuela. This move has sparked international backlash, with critiques labeling the administration’s stance as overly restrictive and discriminatory. A Venezuelan official has notably condemned the ban as “fascist.”
Impact on Immigrants: While existing visa holders and green card recipients are exempt, the ban has caused considerable anxiety among immigrants already residing in the U.S. Concerns revolve around the potential challenges they may face if they need to travel internationally, leading to prolonged separations from families and disrupted travel plans.
In a significant development, Attorney General Pam Bondi announced the return of Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia to the United States to face criminal charges after months of legal battles. Abrego Garcia, who was erroneously deported to El Salvador in March, has been charged with smuggling migrants as a member of the street gang MS-13. If convicted, he faces a potential maximum sentence of ten years for each individual he transported.
"This is what American justice looks like."
(Timestamp: 05:32)
Abrego Garcia’s return underscores the administration’s commitment to rectifying wrongful deportations and enforcing immigration laws. However, the administration may still encounter legal challenges for its initial refusal to repatriate him, with his legal team seeking to continue contempt proceedings against the administration for defying a court order.
In a strategic pivot, YouTube has revised its content moderation approach, aligning more closely with other social media giants like X (formerly Twitter) and Meta. Previously stringent in removing content deemed as misinformation or derogatory, YouTube is now adopting a more lenient stance, allowing certain controversial or sensitive content to remain online if it serves the public interest.
Policy Changes Explained: Trip Mickle, The New York Times’ technology correspondent, details that under the new guidelines, videos that previously would have been taken down for minor infractions can now stay up, provided they address topics such as race, sexuality, abortion, immigration, and censorship in an educational or artistically valuable manner.
"In the past, if just a quarter of a video had violated the rules, it was removed. Now, up to half of the content can violate YouTube's policy and remain online."
(Timestamp: 07:03)
Examples and Implications: One notable example includes a video titled "RFK junior Delivers Sledgehammer Blows to Gene Altering Jabs," which falsely claims that COVID-19 vaccines can alter human genes. Under the new policy, YouTube’s training materials suggest such a video should remain online due to its newsworthiness, especially when involving prominent figures like the Department of Health and Human Services Secretary or public personalities like Elon Musk and Megyn Kelly.
YouTube’s Justification and Criticism: YouTube asserts that these changes will affect only a small number of videos and that the primary objective is to protect freedom of expression while mitigating harm. However, critics argue that this relaxation could lead to the proliferation of misinformation and hate speech, despite the platform’s reputation for hosting more thoughtful and educational content compared to other social media sites.
"Critics are worried that YouTube joining Meta and X in loosening its policy around content moderation will only fuel the spread of false assertions and potentially increase digital hate speech."
(Timestamp: 08:20)
The Tony Awards celebrated an exceptional season for Broadway, marking the highest-grossing year on record when not adjusted for inflation. The season featured star-studded productions, including George Clooney’s Good Night and Good Luck and Denzel Washington’s ambitious Othello, both of which broke box office records despite their high ticket prices.
Notable Wins:
Despite the impressive box office successes, several high-profile figures, including George Clooney and Denzel Washington, left the event without nominations, highlighting a dynamic and competitive landscape in contemporary theater.
Conclusion
This episode of The Headlines offers a comprehensive look into the current socio-political climate, spotlighting the tension between federal and state authorities in immigration enforcement, significant shifts in U.S. immigration policies, strategic changes in digital content moderation, and a vibrant snapshot of the cultural zeitgeist through the Tony Awards. With insightful reporting and expert analysis, listeners gain a nuanced understanding of these critical issues shaping today’s America.
For more in-depth coverage and updates, download the New York Times Audio app or listen to The Headlines wherever you get your podcasts.