
Plus, a North Korean soccer team hits the road.
Loading summary
VRBO Advertiser
Looking for the perfect rental? Discover top rated stays loved by guests Rated highest by real guests. Through authentic reviews, these traveler loved stays are recognized by the details that matter most and validated by real experiences. Choose confidently from rentals you can trust. VRBO Book Now A vacation rental loved by guests.
Will Jarvis
From the New York Times, it's the Headlines. I'm Will Jarvis in for Tracy Mumford. Today's Tuesday, May 19th. Here's what we're covering.
Legal Analyst
Donald Trump is setting up a $1.7 billion political slush fund for the proud boys and the Oath Keepers and his other political lieutenants and hangers on in
Will Jarvis
In Washington, critics are blasting a highly unusual fund that was announced yesterday by the Trump administration. The White House said the nearly $2 billion pot of money will be used to compensate people who they claim were persecuted during the Biden administration. The fund creates a pipeline that could be used to funnel taxpayer money to President Trump's allies and was quickly criticized by Democrats and others as a presidential slush fund. The head of a nonprofit legal watchdog, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, called the fund's creation, quote, one of the single most corrupt acts in American history.
Trump Administration Spokesperson
But this is reimbursing people that were horribly treated. Horribly treated. It's anti weaponization.
Will Jarvis
The Justice Department will oversee the fund and hear claims from people who, quote, suffered weaponization and lawfare. But neither the department nor President Trump have said what exactly weaponization means or who might be eligible to be paid.
Interviewer
Do you believe that people who committed violence against Capitol Hill police officers on January 6th should be eligible for compensation from this DOJ fund?
Trump Administration Spokesperson
It'll all be dependent on a committee. A committee's being set up of very talented people, very highly respected people.
Will Jarvis
The fund will be controlled by a board of five people appointed by the acting attorney general, Todd Blanche. President Trump will be able to fire any of those members at will. Shortly before the administration announced the new fund, President Trump walked back legal efforts he had been making to collect money from the federal government. He had sued the IRS for $10 billion over a leak of his tax returns, and he had demanded the government pay him millions as restitution for a federal investigation into his 2016 campaign. Despite the timing, administration officials said the president, his sons, and his family business will not get money from the new. At the White House on Monday, we
Trump Administration Spokesperson
were getting ready to do a very major attack tomorrow. I put it off for a little while, hopefully, maybe forever, but possibly for a little while.
Will Jarvis
President Trump threatened to launch a new wave of strikes against Iran and backed down from that threat. At the very same time, it was the latest head spinning twist from Trump. Three months into the conflict, he appears torn between trying to force Iran into submission and just declaring victory and moving on. According to US Officials, the Pentagon had drawn up a list of potential targets in Iran. And some officials said Trump's about face could be a form of misdirection and that he still might order the strikes. But Trump said he was holding off because of what he called serious negotiations that are underway to end the war.
Trump Administration Spokesperson
We've had periods of time where we had, we thought pretty much getting close to making a deal and didn't work out, but this is a little bit different.
Will Jarvis
Trump said that the leaders of the uae, Saudi Arabia and Qatar had asked him to postpone the strikes because they believe they can make a deal with Iran that would both satisfy the President and reopen the Strait of Hormuz.
Reporter from Qatar
Meanwhile, I spent the past week reporting from Qatar, which has long been one of the wealthiest nations in the world, but has been massively impacted by the war with Iran.
Will Jarvis
River Akira Davis covers the global economy for the Times. She says that ever since the Strait was effectively shut down, Qatar has been losing hundreds of millions of dollars a day in revenue. That's largely because it can't export natural gas or gas related products, which are the backbone of its economy. Beyond that, the country's been effectively cut off from all shipping trade. And fears about potential attacks have hit the tourism sector hard too.
Reporter from Qatar
You can really see the impact wherever you go in Doha, the capital. Qatar has put a lot of effort into becoming sort of a business and tourism hub. But everything was really silent, from the sort of traditional markets to the boutiques, to the hotels in the south. We actually drove down to a port at one point, which is one of the region's most busy ports on a typical day. But it was completely silent. So there was no cranes moving, there was no ships going in and out. I went to some grocery stores and I saw that they were actually having to air in avocados from places like Tanzania, where they would normally just, you know, cart them in by ship. But what is really strange in Qatar is that you don't really see this massive spike in prices that you would assume there would be. And that's because the state is using this massive sovereign wealth fund to essentially subsidize prices and keep everything in a kind of created sense of calm. Speaking to economists, analysts, Qatari officials, not only do they not want Qatari residents to sort of panic about this lack of imports but also 90% of the population in Qatar are actually foreign residents. And so if there's a dry up in business or a huge spike in inflation, there's a fear that these sort of migrant workers will move to other countries and that could lead to an entire collapse really of the Qatari economy.
San Diego Official
Let me start off by extending heartfelt condolences to the Muslim community in California.
Will Jarvis
Yesterday, two suspects carried out a deadly shooting rampage, opening fire at the Islamic center of San Diego.
San Diego Official
This is a city's and a community's absolute worst nightmare as a free society.
Will Jarvis
The San Diego police chief said that three people were killed, including a security guard, by the alleged attackers who were 17 and 18 years old. The suspects were found dead in a car nearby with what appeared to be self inflicted gunshot wounds. In the hours leading up to the shooting, there had been a frantic effort to find the pair. After the 17 year old's mother called the police. She said her son was suicidal and had left the house taking several weapons with him. According to law enforcement, investigators found a suicide note and anti Islamic writings in the car. They said the phrase hate speech was written on one of the firearms used in the attack.
San Diego Official
This is something that we have never expected to take place. But at the same time, the religious intolerance and the hate, unfortunately, that exists in our nation is unprecedented.
Will Jarvis
At a press conference, the director of the Islamic center said his community was in mourning and pointed to concerns about rising Islamophobia in the US The Council on American Islamic Relations says that last year it received nearly 9,000 of what it calls civil rights complaints, the most it's recorded in almost 30 years.
Legal Analyst
This lawsuit was a hypocritical attempt to sabotage a competitor.
Will Jarvis
Outside a federal courthouse yesterday, lawyers for Sam Altman, the chief executive of OpenAI, celebrated a ruling that threw out a $150 billion lawsuit from Elon Musk. It brought an end to a blockbuster three week trial that saw two of the most powerful titans of the tech world clashing in the courtroom. Musk had accused OpenAI of stealing a charity and effectively turning what was founded as a nonprofit into a multi billion dollar company. Altman and his team had called the whole lawsuit frivolous and said Musk was just trying to take down one of his competitors. But in the end, the jury didn't rule on any of that. Instead, after deliberating for less than two hours, it found that Musk had brought the lawsuit too late, beyond the timeframe required by law.
Legal Analyst
We'll go to the court of appeals and see what they have to say about it, but we feel strongly that we're right on the law on that.
Will Jarvis
Musk's lawyers have vowed to appeal that decision. They could also go back to court over antitrust claims Musk has made against OpenAI that weren't resolved in this trial. For now, Musk's failure to deal a major blow to OpenAI solidifies the company's place near the pinnacle of the AI industry, and it clears the way for a potential initial public offering as soon as this year. That could be one of the biggest in history. And finally, in South Korea, women's soccer games usually draw sparse crowds. But tickets to a rare match that's scheduled for tomorrow sold out almost immediately. It's a top tier semifinal game in an international tournament that has a South Korean club team facing off against a North Korean team. For decades, sports have been a way for Koreans on both sides of the DMZ to come together. Athletes from the north and south have even marched side by side at the opening ceremonies for the Olympic Games. But recently, as political tensions have flared, those efforts have hit a rocky patch. No North Korean players have set foot in the south in almost eight years. In a sign of how tense things are this time around, the North Korean players had to travel through China to get to South Korea, since direct flights from the north are banned and the North Korean team has a real shot at winning tomorrow's match. Its roster includes players that were part of winning teams at under 20 and under 17. FIFA Women's World Cups. If they do pull off a victory, they'll stay in South Korea until the championship game on Sunday. But it might be a little harder for them to go out and celebrate than your average team. All North Koreans traveling abroad, including the soccer players, are accompanied by secret police agents who monitor them at all times. Those are the headlines. I'm Will Jarvis. The show will be back tomorrow.
KFC Advertiser
Folks knew the colonel approved of his new Honey Chili Crisp and Jalapeno Ranch sauces the moment he tasted them and said, that's right. No notes, just absolute silence. Turns out some flavors don't need explaining, they just need dipping. It's saucy season at KFC with new Honey Chili Crisp and Jalapeno Ranch. Get dipping with a boneless bucket today.
Will Jarvis
Prices and participation vary.
Episode Title: Trump’s New $1.8 Billion Pot of Money, and a Deadly Mosque Attack in California
Host: Will Jarvis (in for Tracy Mumford)
Producer: The New York Times
In this episode of “The Headlines,” Will Jarvis and New York Times reporters examine several major stories shaping the news:
Announcement & Controversy:
The Trump administration unveiled a nearly $2 billion fund described by critics as a “political slush fund” for Trump supporters, including groups like the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers.
Criticism & Concerns:
Administration’s Defense & Ambiguity:
Eligibility & Oversight:
Notable Note on Trump and Family:
Trump’s Threat, Abrupt Reversal:
Impact on Qatar:
The Attack:
Evidence & Motivation:
Community Impact & Rising Islamophobia:
Background:
Trial Outcome:
Aftermath and Future Litigation:
On Trump’s Fund:
On Qatar’s Economy:
On Islamophobia:
On Tech Rivalry:
The episode maintains The New York Times’ hallmark clarity and measured, analytical tone. Soundbites from officials and reporters lend urgency and immediacy, particularly during coverage of the San Diego mosque attack and Middle East tensions.
This episode explores a series of politically, socially, and economically significant developments: the creation of a controversial fund for Trump allies, ongoing Middle East tensions with global economic consequences, the threat of domestic extremism, fierce rivalries at the tech industry’s pinnacle, and the enduring symbolic power of sports amidst geopolitical divides. The reporting is thorough, engaging, and critical for understanding the current moment in U.S. and world affairs.