
Loading summary
Mike Baker
It's Thursday, the 2nd of January, 2025, in case you were wondering about the year. Welcome to the PDB Afternoon Bulletin. I'm Mike Baker, your eyes and ears on the world stage. Let's get briefed. First, we'll discuss the terror attack in New Orleans early on New Year's day by a U.S. army veteran who had pledged allegiance to ISIS. The attack left 14 dead and 30 injured. Then we'll turn to another potential act of terror in Las Vegas, where a Tesla cybertruck loaded with fuel canisters and other explosives exploded outside the Trump International Hotel, Las Vegas, on New Year's Day, killing the driver and injuring seven. But first, our afternoon spotlight. We'll begin with the tragic New Year's Day terror attack in New Orleans, where a US army veteran flying an ISIS flag from a pickup truck drove through a crowd of revelers, killing 14 and injuring 30. The horrific scene unfolded during New Year's celebrations around 3:15 in the morning on Wednesday on the always popular Bourbon Street. That's a historic tourist spot, of course, known worldwide as one of the largest destinations for New Year's Eve parties. The suspect steered around a police blockade and sped at high speed through a crowd, slamming into dozens of people and leaving a trail of carnage in his wake. After crashing the truck, the attacker exited the vehicle and opened fire with a long gun on police, injuring two officers before being killed. That's according to a report from the Associated Press. The suspect, identified as 42 year old Shamsud Din Jabbar, was a U.S. citizen from Texas who once served in Afghanistan. FBI investigators say he had recently, quote, pledged allegiance to ISIS and posted five videos to social media shortly before the attack expressing a, quote, desire to kill. According to his ex wife's husband, he had recently converted to Islam and had begun behaving erratically. In one of the videos, Jabbar said he originally planned to harm his family and friends, but was concerned that media coverage would not focus on the, quote, war between the believers and the disbelievers. He also said he had officially joined the Islamic State sometime before last summer. At a press conference On Thursday, the FBI's deputy assistant director said, quote, this was an act of terrorism. It was premeditated and an evil act, end quote. And for that, the FBI is the winner of the PDB Statement of the Obvious Award. In his rented truck, which he reportedly drove from Houston to New Orleans on 31 December, authorities found an Islamic State flag, weapons and potential explosive device. Two other explosive devices were found in the French quarter of New Orleans and rendered safe by police. Now, surveillance footage since reviewed shows Jabar placing those explosive devices on the streets of the French Quarter earlier in the day. The FBI had originally said Wednesday that they did not believe that he acted alone. Officials conducted a thorough search of the city and spent hours at the attacker's home in Houston. But as of Thursday morning, no additional arrests were known to have been made. And later on Thursday, FBI officials said that they now believe the attacker did act alone. But the presence of the ISIS flag and multiple explosive devices has raised the prospect that the international ISIS terrorist group may have played a role in the attack above and beyond simply radicalizing or inspiring the attacker. Officials with the FBI urged anyone with information to come forward and said that they're working aggressively to run down every lead. Among the victims was the mother of a four year old who had just moved into a new apartment, a finance worker from New York, and an 18 year old aspiring nurse from Mississippi. The two officers injured in the firefight are said to be in stable condition and recovering at a local hospital. The attack led city officials to postpone the Sugar bowl college football playoff game scheduled for Wednesday until today, and that's being played less than a mile from the scene of the attack. The city reopened Bourbon street on Thursday as the investigation continues, beefing up security ahead of the game. Local officials are under scrutiny now regarding security measures in the city for the New Year's Eve celebrations. A barrier system that was meant to prevent vehicle attacks was not in place as it was reportedly being repaired in preparation for the super bowl, which will be hosted in New Orleans in February of this year. Instead, patrol cars and barriers were used to block vehicular traffic. The terrorist is said to have driven a rented pickup truck onto a sidewalk to get around the temporary barricades. So not really barricades. New Orleans Police Superintendent Ann Kirkpatrick said, quote, we did indeed have a plan, but the terrorist defeated it, end quote. She added, quote, this is not just an act of terrorism, this is evil. End quote. Now, not to play armchair quarterback on this one, but failing to have proper barricades set up and working around the French Quarter ahead of such a massive event as New Year's Eve and the planned next day college football game seems to indicate that the plan that the police chief is referring to was at best inadequate and not thought through. I'm being diplomatic there, saying that your first tier security barrier system was being repaired in preparation for the super bowl in February when the authorities knew well in advance the size of crowds and the always present potential for a terrorist attack during a large scale public event is, well, it's nonsensical. Sorry. To start out the year on a churlish note, coming up, we'll turn to another potential act of terror in Las Vegas where a Tesla cyber truck exploded outside the Trump International Hotel on New Year's Day, killing one the driver and injuring seven. I'll be right back.
Tucker Carlson
Hey, it's Tucker Carlson. We are proud to provide a venue for Oliver Stone's son Sean, who's a friend of ours and also a filmmaker. His latest documentary series called all the President's Men. It's a multi part series in which he explains in vivid detail how the first Trump administration, 2016-2020 was subverted from the very first day by the deep state who picked off one by one members of the then President's inner circle. And some of them are still on the scene. You will see in depth interviews with, for example, Kash Patel, who was the incoming President's new FBI director, with Mike Flynn and many other people, you know, whose whole stories you may not have heard before. It's an amazing series. All the President's Men by Sean Stone playing right now ontucker carlson.com we're proud to have it. We think you'll like it.
Mike Baker
Welcome back to the AFTERNOON Bulletin. Continuing our coverage of New Year's Day attacks in the United States. A Tesla cybertruck explosion occurred outside the Trump International Hotel in Las Vegas on Wednesday. The blast killed the driver and injured seven others and prompted an FBI investigation into whether it is an act of terrorism. The explosion took place just before 9am and forced the evacuation of the Trump International Hotel. Surveillance footage captured the dramatic moment when the explosion occurred, appearing to originate from the rear of the cybertruck. First responders arrived within minutes to extinguish the blaze and discovered a charred truck bed filled with fuel canisters and more than a dozen firework mortars. It's worth noting that the President Elect was not at the property at the time. Authorities have identified the cybertruck's driver as Matthew Liversberger, an active duty Army Green Beret stationed in Germany and on leave in Colorado. He reportedly rented the vehicle in Denver before driving it to the Las Vegas hotel. Law enforcement is currently investigating whether or not the incident in Las Vegas is in any way related to the attack in New Orleans. Both incidents involved vehicles rented through the peer to peer app based car sharing service turo, prompting federal investigators to explore whether the events were part of a coordinated effort. In a statement Turo assured full cooperation with law enforcement and emphasized that neither renter had a criminal background. However, the FBI was careful to note at a news conference today that as of now, there is no definitive link between the two incidents. The explosion comes as President Elect Trump prepares to return to the White House, of course, in less than 20 days. In November, Trump tapped Tesla CEO Elon Musk to co lead a presidential advisory commission, the Department of Government Efficiency. The sheriff of the Las Vegas Police Department stated in a press conference, quote, obviously a cybertruck the Trump Hotel. There are lots of questions that we have to answer, end quote, looking into a potential motive for the explosion. While officials stress that there is no immediate danger to the Las Vegas community, the fact that there were two mass casualty events in the same day understandably has the nation on edge. It's a sad and worrisome start to 2025. And that, my friends, is the PDB afternoon bulletin for Thursday to January. If you have any questions or comments, please reach out to me at pdb@the firsttv.com and of course to listen to the show ad free. Well, it's very easy. Just become a premium member of the President's Daily brief by visiting PDB premium.com I'm Mike Baker and I'll be back tomorrow. Until then, stay informed, stay safe, stay cool.
The President's Daily Brief: January 2nd, 2025 Afternoon Bulletin
Hosted by Mike Baker | Released January 2, 2025
In this edition of The President's Daily Brief (PDB) Afternoon Bulletin, former CIA Operations Officer Mike Baker delves into two significant and tragic events that unfolded on New Year's Day, 2025: a devastating terror attack in New Orleans and a suspicious explosion involving a Tesla Cybertruck in Las Vegas. These incidents have not only shocked the nation but also raised critical questions about national security and the effectiveness of current preventive measures.
Details of the Attack
On the early hours of New Year's Day, specifically at 3:15 AM, a horrifying attack occurred on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, one of the most renowned destinations for New Year's Eve celebrations. A U.S. Army veteran, Shamsud Din Jabbar, 42, from Texas, orchestrated the assault by driving a pickup truck adorned with an ISIS flag through a bustling crowd of revelers.
Casualties and Immediate Aftermath
The attack resulted in 14 fatalities and 30 injuries, including two police officers who were shot during the ensuing confrontation. Jabbar, after crashing the truck, exited the vehicle and opened fire on the police, leading to his own death.
Background and Motives
Investigations revealed that Jabbar had pledged allegiance to ISIS, as evidenced by five videos he posted on social media shortly before the attack, expressing a "desire to kill" ([04:30]). According to the Associated Press, Jabbar had recently converted to Islam and exhibited erratic behavior, further fueling concerns about his radicalization.
FBI's Findings and Response
Initially, the FBI suspected that Jabbar might not have acted alone. However, subsequent investigations led them to conclude that he acted alone, despite the presence of ISIS flags and explosive devices in his vehicle. The FBI remains vigilant, monitoring for any additional threats and urging the public to provide any pertinent information ([05:45]).
Security Lapses and Official Criticism
The attack has spotlighted significant lapses in security measures during major public events in New Orleans. Police Superintendent Ann Kirkpatrick addressed the shortcomings, stating, "We did indeed have a plan, but the terrorist defeated it" ([03:50]) and "This is not just an act of terrorism, this is evil." ([04:00]). The absence of effective barricades, due to ongoing repairs for the Super Bowl preparations, allowed Jabbar to circumvent security barriers, highlighting the inadequacies in the current security infrastructure.
Impact on Public Events
In the wake of the attack, city officials postponed the Sugar Bowl college football playoff game scheduled for January 2nd, which was to take place less than a mile from the attack site. Bourbon Street was subsequently reopened with enhanced security measures in place to safeguard ongoing investigations and future events.
Incident Overview
Later on the same day, a Tesla Cybertruck loaded with fuel canisters and over a dozen firework mortars exploded outside the Trump International Hotel in Las Vegas just before 9:00 AM. The explosion resulted in the death of the driver, Matthew Liversberger, an active-duty Army Green Beret stationed in Germany, and injured seven others.
Investigation into the Explosion
The FBI is investigating whether this incident is an act of terrorism and if there is any connection to the earlier attack in New Orleans. Both incidents involved vehicles rented through the peer-to-peer car-sharing service, Turo, prompting federal investigators to explore the possibility of a coordinated effort. However, as of the latest reports, the FBI has stated, "There is no definitive link between the two incidents." ([06:30]).
Perpetrator's Profile
Matthew Liversberger had rented the Cybertruck in Denver before driving it to the Trump International Hotel in Las Vegas. Authorities have not yet disclosed any motives behind the explosion, but the choice of location raises questions, especially considering President Elect Trump's recent appointment of Tesla CEO Elon Musk to co-lead a presidential advisory commission on Government Efficiency.
Statements from Law Enforcement
The Sheriff of the Las Vegas Police Department commented on the incident, stating, "Obviously a Cybertruck at the Trump Hotel. There are lots of questions that we have to answer," indicating ongoing investigations into potential motives and connections ([07:00]).
Both the New Orleans and Las Vegas incidents share common elements, including the use of rented vehicles through Turo and the execution of high-impact attacks in prominent public venues. While the FBI has not confirmed any direct link, the similarities have intensified scrutiny over potential coordinated terrorist activities.
The international implications, especially concerning ISIS's possible involvement, are being thoroughly examined. The presence of multiple explosive devices suggests a more complex operation, although concrete evidence supporting this theory remains forthcoming.
The dual tragedies of January 1st, 2025, underscore the persistent and evolving threats of terrorism within the United States. The incidents have exposed vulnerabilities in security planning for major public events and have sparked fear and uncertainty nationwide. As investigations continue, the nation remains on high alert, grappling with the immediate impacts and the long-term need for enhanced security measures to prevent future attacks.
Mike Baker concludes the bulletin by emphasizing the need for vigilance and resilience in the face of such challenges, urging listeners to stay informed and safe during these tumultuous times.
Notable Quotes:
Ann Kirkpatrick, New Orleans Police Superintendent:
Sheriff of Las Vegas Police Department:
FBI Deputy Assistant Director:
For further information and ongoing updates, listeners are encouraged to stay tuned to future episodes of The President's Daily Brief.