
Loading summary
Lifelock Advertiser
This episode is brought to you by Lifelock. It's tax season and we're all a bit tired of numbers, but here's one you need to $16.5 billion. That's how much the IRS flagged for possible identity fraud last year. Now here's a good number. 100 million. That's how many data points Lifelock monitors every second. If your identity is stolen, they'll fix it, guaranteed. Save up to 40% your first year@lifelock.com podcast terms apply.
Mike Baker
It's Thursday the 20th of March. Welcome to the PDB Afternoon Bulletin. I'm Mike Baker, your eyes and ears on the world stage. Let's get briefed. First up, China's new amphibious assault barges are sparking fresh concerns that the Chinese Communist Party, the ccp, is in the early stages or at some stage of planning a potential full scale invasion of Taiwan. Later in the show, Israel unleashes a new wave of airstrikes overnight across Gaza following the collapse of their fragile ceasefire with Hamas as the IDF prepares to ramp up ground operations in the enclave. But first, today's afternoon spotlight. We'll start in China, where the regime's military has unveiled their new D Day style assault barges. That's an ominous sign regarding their potential plans to invade Taiwan. Footage recently emerged on Chinese social media platforms showing the Chinese Navy conducting what looked to be amphibious landing exercises with the barges in the South China Sea. Now, China has reportedly built at least five of these barges, which appear to draw inspiration from the portable mulberry harbors that were developed by Britain. But for the Normandy landings back in World War II, they've got unique features that analysts say are tailored to facilitate a ground invasion from the sea. According to a report from the Telegraph, each barge is equipped with an extendable road bridge that's about 400ft long, roughly the length of one and a third football fields, capable of crossing water, mud, seawalls, mines and other beach obstacles in order to reach coastal roads or firm ground beyond a beach. The design is meant to function as a floating retractable pier to allow troops and tanks, trucks and other heavy equipment to be rapidly offloaded directly onto shorelines. Responding to the footage, an analyst with Naval News remarked, quote, anyone wondering what an invasion of Taiwan might look like now has a fresh visual clue, end quote. Notably, the barges would allow the Chinese military to reach beaches previously considered unsuitable for amphibious landings without the need for first taking control of a Taiwanese port. Additionally, the barges feature stabilizing jack up pillars for operation in poor weather conditions. They can also be connected to one another in an end to end configuration, which was seen during the recent exercises, effectively creating a lengthy bridge to an enemy shoreline. Naval analyst H I. Sutton first reported on the barges back in January of this year after photos emerged of them docked near the Guangzhou shipyard that's in southern China. The vessels have reportedly been in development since 2022, but are believed to have been assembled last year over a period of just a few months. The Sutton said they have limited civilian applications and and appear, quote, tailor made for an amphibious assault on Taiwan. While the recent footage of the barges was quickly scrubbed from social media, the fact that China allowed details of these vessels to leak to the public suggests the CCP wants to send a message to Taiwan and the west that they have the capabilities to swiftly take the island. It's a noteworthy development, particularly since US Military officials have long said that China lacks the capability to mount a ground invasion from the sea on Taiwan. An analyst with the Council on Geostrategy explained to the Telegraph, quote, a core problem for China in invading Taiwan is getting the necessary heavy equipment over the strait, and the solution to that problem is what we're seeing with these barges, end quote. Traditionally, Taiwan has relied on its natural geography and limited beach landing sites for defense. But the reach of these new barges well could change that equation, complicating Taiwan's defense strategies and allowing Beijing to bypass heavily defended ports. While these developments don't signal an imminent invasion, of course, given the CCP's continued military harassment of the island democracy, which escalated significantly throughout 2024, international observers are growing anxious. It comes amid concerns over the CCP's expanded naval fleet, which now has more ships than the U.S. navy. And I suppose an interesting factoid to wrap up this segment. Since 2019, China has built the equivalent of the entire British Royal Navy, producing at least 39 warships. Coming up next, Israel unleashes a new wave of airstrikes overnight across Gaza following the collapse of their fragile ceasefire with Hamas. I'll be right back.
McAfee Advertiser
Your data is like gold to hackers. They're selling your passwords, bank details and private messages. McAfee helps stop them. Secure VPN keeps your online activity private, AI powered text scam detector spots phishing attempts instantly. And with award winning antivirus, you get top tier hacker protection. Plus you'll get up to $2 million in identity theft coverage, all for just $39.99 for your first year. Visit McAfee.com, cancel anytime terms apply.
Ryan Reynolds
Ryan Reynolds here from Mint Mobile with a message for everyone paying big wireless way too much. Please, for the love of everything good in this world, stop with Mint. You can get premium wireless for just $15 a month. Of course, if you enjoy overpaying. No judgments. But that's weird. Okay, one judgment anyway. Give it a try@mintmobile.com Switch upfront payment.
McAfee Advertiser
Of $45 for 3 month plan equivalent to $15 per month required intro rate first, then full price plan options available. Taxes and fees extra.
Mike Baker
See full terms@mint mobile.com welcome back to the Afternoon Bulletin. Israel pummeled Gaza overnight in a new wave of airstrikes, reportedly killing dozens as the IDF ramps up its renewed ground operations following the collapse of the fragile ceasefire earlier this week. According to hospital reports cited by the Associated press, at least 58 people were killed in the latest round of Israeli bombardment, adding to the mounting death toll since the resumption of hostilities on Tuesday. The offensive, now in full swing once again centers on Israel's demand for the release of hostages, while Hamas has outright rejected updated ceasefire terms. As it stands, 59 hostages remain in Gaza, with Israeli intelligence assessing that at least 34 of those are dead. The first phase of the ceasefire saw Hamas release 25 living hostages and returned the bodies of eight others in exchange for around 2,000 Palestinian prisoners. But Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu defended the decision to resume military action, arguing that Hamas had repeatedly stalled and refused to free more captives. In a video posted on X, the prime minister said, quote, for the past two weeks, Israel did not initiate any military action, hoping Hamas would change course. Well, that didn't happen, end quote. Israel holds Hamas responsible for shattering the truce, accusing the terror group of stonewalling negotiations. Hamas, in turn, claims Netanyahu violated the agreement and is putting hostages, quote, at risk of an unknown fate on the ground. The IDF on Wednesday confirmed that its forces are conducting targeted activities in Gaza, seeking to reclaim strategic territory. This includes expanding the security zone of the Netzerim Corridor. That's a critical strip of land that divides northern and southern Gaza. It's worth noting that the corridor had been cleared during the January ceasefire by Israel, briefly allowing hundreds of thousands of Palestinians to move between the two regions. But with movement now restricted again, Israel has warned that Hamas refusal to release more hostages will carry consequences. Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz doubled down on those warnings, issuing a direct message to Gaza's inhabitants, stating that evacuations from battle zones will, quote, begin again soon. Katz also invoked the advice from President Trump urging Hamas to release the remaining hostages and to disband, telling Palestinians that doing so will open other options for them, quote, including going to other places in the world, pushing of course for their self removal from the enclave. The resumption of warfare has ignited mass protests in Israel. By late Wednesday, thousands of demonstrators flooded the streets outside the Knesset in Jerusalem, accusing Netanyahu of prolonging the conflict to maintain his fractured coalition. Israeli police clashed with protesters, deploying crowd control measures and making at least a dozen arrests. By Thursday, Hamas retaliated with a fresh barrage of rocket fire, launching three long range missiles from southern Gaza towards central Israel. Sirens blared across Tel Aviv as one rocket was intercepted while the other two landed in open areas without causing injuries. With no immediate diplomatic breakthrough on the horizon, the ceasefires collapse has set the stage for renewed fighting that obviously complicates U.S. and regional mediation efforts to forge a lasting truce. And that my friends is the PDB Afternoon bulletin for Thursday 20th March. If you have any questions or comments, please reach out to me at pdb@the firsttv.com and as you are undoubtedly aware, if you'd like to listen to the show ad free as simply become a premium member of the President's Daily brief by visiting pdbpremium.com it could not be any easier. I'm Mike Baker and I'll be back tomorrow. Until then, stay informed, stay safe, stay cool.
Mike Slater
Hey, I'm Mike Slater. I have a podcast called Politics by Faith. We have a very simple mission. We take the news of the day and we filter it through a biblical worldview. So here's the big story of the day. What does the Bible say about it and how can we apply it? It's amazing. There's nothing new under the sun. The Bible has something to say about everything that's going on today. So basically we thumped the Bible over on Politics by Faith. I think we got to keep MAGA going. And I think the way to take it beyond just a political victory into a true rebuilding and awakening and revival in America is to make sure that this is all grounded in biblical principles. And that's what we do on the podcast Politics by Faith. And you can subscribe to Politics by Faith wherever you're listening to the show right now.
The President's Daily Brief: PDB Afternoon Bulletin | March 20th, 2025
Hosted by Mike Baker, Former CIA Operations Officer
On this episode of The President's Daily Brief Afternoon Bulletin, host Mike Baker delves into two pivotal global issues shaping the geopolitical landscape: China's unveiling of massive amphibious assault barges indicative of potential invasion plans for Taiwan, and Israel's intensified military operations in Gaza following the collapse of a fragile ceasefire with Hamas.
Unveiling the Barges
China's military advancements have taken a concerning turn with the introduction of new amphibious assault barges, signaling possible preparations for a large-scale invasion of Taiwan. Recently, footage surfaced on Chinese social media showcasing the Chinese Navy conducting amphibious landing exercises in the South China Sea using these specialized barges.
Design and Capabilities
These barges, numbering at least five, draw inspiration from the portable Mulberry harbors used by Britain during the Normandy landings in World War II. However, they incorporate unique features tailored for modern amphibious assaults:
Extendable Road Bridge: Each barge boasts a 400-foot-long extendable road bridge, equivalent to one and a third football fields, designed to traverse water, mud, seawalls, mines, and other beach obstacles. This innovation facilitates the rapid offloading of troops, tanks, trucks, and heavy equipment directly onto shorelines without the prerequisite of securing a Taiwanese port.
Stabilizing Jack-Up Pillars: These ensure operational stability even in adverse weather conditions, enhancing the barges' reliability during invasions.
Modular Connectivity: The ability to connect barges end-to-end creates extensive floating retractable piers, allowing for seamless movement of forces to enemy shorelines.
Strategic Implications
Analyzing the strategic impact, a Naval News analyst stated, "Anyone wondering what an invasion of Taiwan might look like now has a fresh visual clue." This development addresses a long-standing challenge identified by U.S. military officials regarding China's capacity to conduct ground invasions from the sea. An analyst from the Council on Geostrategy echoed this sentiment, noting, "A core problem for China in invading Taiwan is getting the necessary heavy equipment over the strait, and the solution to that problem is what we're seeing with these barges."
Production and Intent
First reported by naval analyst H. I. Sutton in January 2025, these barges have been under development since 2022 and were assembled within a few months last year. Despite the recent suppression of footage on social media, the CCP's decision to allow leaks hints at a strategic message aimed at both Taiwan and the Western powers, demonstrating China's enhanced amphibious capabilities.
Fleet Expansion and Regional Tensions
This move coincides with China's expanded naval fleet, now surpassing the U.S. Navy in the number of ships. Since 2019, China has constructed at least 39 warships, equivalent to the entire British Royal Navy. This rapid expansion intensifies regional security concerns and complicates Taiwan's defense strategies, which have traditionally relied on limited beach landing sites and natural geographic barriers.
Escalation of Hostilities
In the wake of a collapsed ceasefire with Hamas, Israel has launched a new wave of airstrikes across Gaza, resulting in significant casualties and signaling a resurgence of full-scale military operations. According to hospital reports cited by the Associated Press, the latest bombardment has killed at least 58 people, adding to a growing death toll since hostilities resumed on the preceding Tuesday.
Hostage Situation
Central to the conflict is Israel's demand for the release of hostages held by Hamas. There are currently 59 hostages in Gaza, with Israeli intelligence estimating that at least 34 have perished. The initial phase of the ceasefire saw Hamas release 25 living hostages and return the bodies of eight others in exchange for approximately 2,000 Palestinian prisoners. However, subsequent negotiations have stalled, leading to renewed military actions.
Prime Minister Netanyahu's Stance
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has vigorously defended the decision to resume military operations, asserting, "For the past two weeks, Israel did not initiate any military action, hoping Hamas would change course. Well, that didn't happen," as posted in a video on X ([06:31]). He holds Hamas accountable for the breakdown of the truce, accusing the group of stonewalling negotiations and endangering hostages.
Hamas's Response
Conversely, Hamas alleges that Netanyahu violated the ceasefire agreement and jeopardized the safety of the hostages on the ground. They maintain that the Israeli government's actions are undermining the potential for a lasting peace.
Operational Developments
The Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) have confirmed ongoing targeted operations aimed at reclaiming strategic territories within Gaza. A key focus is the expansion of the Netzerim Corridor, a vital strip of land that historically allowed hundreds of thousands of Palestinians to move between northern and southern Gaza during the January ceasefire. With the corridor now restricted, Israel has warned of severe consequences should Hamas continue to withhold further hostages.
Defense Minister Katz's Directive
Defense Minister Israel Katz has reiterated Israel's stern stance, issuing a direct message to Gaza's residents: "Evacuations from battle zones will, quote, begin again soon." He also referenced advice from former President Donald Trump, urging Hamas to release remaining hostages and disband to open pathways for Palestinians to relocate elsewhere globally.
Internal Unrest in Israel
The resurgence of violence has sparked mass protests within Israel. By late Wednesday, thousands of demonstrators gathered outside the Knesset in Jerusalem, accusing Netanyahu of prolonging the conflict to sustain his fractured coalition government. These protests led to clashes with police, resulting in at least a dozen arrests as authorities deployed crowd control measures.
Hamas's Rocket Attacks
In retaliation, Hamas launched a fresh salvo of rocket fire targeting central Israel, including Tel Aviv. Sirens were activated across the city, and while one rocket was intercepted, the other two landed in open areas without causing casualties.
Implications for Diplomacy
The collapse of the ceasefire has significantly hindered U.S. and regional mediation efforts aimed at establishing a lasting truce. With both sides entrenched in their positions and civilian populations bearing the brunt of the conflict, prospects for immediate diplomatic resolution remain bleak.
Mike Baker concludes the bulletin by emphasizing the critical nature of these developments and encourages listeners to stay informed and engaged with global affairs. For further inquiries or to provide feedback, listeners are invited to contact the team at pdb@thefirsttv.com. Premium content is also available for those seeking an ad-free experience.
This summary encapsulates the key discussions and insights from the March 20th, 2025 episode of The President's Daily Brief Afternoon Bulletin, providing a comprehensive overview of the pressing issues without the inclusion of advertisements or non-relevant segments.