Loading summary
Advertiser
The Jack Welch Management Institute at Strayer University helps you go from I know the way to I've arrived with our top 10 ranked online MBA. Gain skills you can learn today and apply tomorrow. Get ready to go from make it happen to made it happen and keep striving. Visit strayer.edu Jack Welchmba to learn more. Strayer University is certified to operate in Virginia by Shev and has many campuses, including at 2121 15th Street north in Arlington, Virginia.
Luke Vargas
A judge allows the Trump administration to move forward with its buyout offer for federal workers. Plus, Arab states led by Egypt begin taking Trump's Gaza takeover plan seriously as they race to draft an alternate proposal.
Summer Saeed
This has pushed Egypt to lead a diplomatic blitz for a plan to rebuild Gaza, trying to squeeze out the political space for the now dubbed Riviera plan proposed by the Trump administration and a.
Luke Vargas
Potential sign of weakness in the housing market as tens of thousands of homes are pulled from sale. It's Thursday, February 13th. I'm Luke Vargas for the Wall Street Journal and here is the AM edition of what's news, the top headlines and business stories moving your world today. The Trump administration's buyout plan for federal workers is back on. A federal judge in Massachusetts lifted a freeze on the program yesterday, ruling that labor unions seeking to pause proper legal standing as they weren't directly affected. A spokeswoman for the Office of Personnel Management, which extended the buyout offer to more than 2 million federal workers, said the agency was pleased with the court's decision and that the program had closed at 7pm yesterday. According to an administration official, about 65,000 workers had opted to resign in connection with the program. As of Tuesday, the Trump administration has stepped up its immigration fight against New York, announcing a lawsuit against senior state officials and pulling $80 million in federal funding intended to help pay for migrant housing and services. In her first news conference as Attorney General, Pam Bondi accused New York Governor Kathy Hochul of failing to enforce federal immigration laws. New York has chosen to prioritize illegal aliens over American citizens. It stops. It stops today. As you know, we sued Illinois and New York didn't listen.
Advertiser
So now you're next.
Luke Vargas
The Commissioner of New York's Department of Motor Vehicles and State Attorney General Letitia James were also targeted by the suit. James said she's prepared to defend the state's laws. A spokesperson for Hochul said she supports deporting criminals, but that she believes law abiding families shouldn't be targets, adding that the governor would coordinate with federal authorities who have a warrant. New York City Comptroller Brad Lander said yesterday that the administration's move to revoke funding meant to help cities deal with migrant arrivals was illegal, calling it highway robbery. Last week, the Trump administration sued Illinois and Chicago over their efforts to limit cooperation with federal immigration enforcement, the first steps in what Bondi promised would be a crackdown on sanctuary cities. This just in. Elon Musk says he'll withdraw his $97.4 billion bid for the nonprofit that controls OpenAI if the company's board stops its conversion to a for profit business. That's according to a document filed by the billionaire's lawyers. We'll have more updates as this story develops on WSJ.com More homes are being pulled from sale in the US According to real estate analytics firm CoreLog, nearly 73,000 properties were delisted after they failed to find a buyer in December. That's about 1 in 10 properties being taken off the market, an increase of 64% from the same month of 2023. That jump could be an early sign of a weakening housing market. Japanese carmakers Honda and Nissan have officially walked away from their plan to merge less than two months after announcing it. Industry analysts believe Nissan, which faces troubles in its two biggest market and recently slashed its headcount and global capacity, will now look for a different partner to help shore up its finances and collaborate on technology. Taiwan's Foxconn, best known for assembling iPhones, has emerged as a candidate. The company's chairman said yesterday that he was open to collaborating with Nissan but doesn't intend to push for an acquisition. Shares of Robinhood have jumped off hours after the company posted a sharp rise in quarterly profit fueled by a flurry of post election trading. Stock price has gained 50% since the start of the year. And in updates from some of Europe's largest companies this morning, Unilever plans to list its ice cream business in Amsterdam, London and New York, resolving lingering questions about previously announced plans to separate the business, which includes the Ben and Jerry's and Magnum brands. Nestle reported its weakest organic sales growth in more than 20 years. The maker of KitKat and Nescafe attributed its 2024 performance to soft consum demand after years of high inflation. Its shares in Switzerland are sharply higher this morning, though, after it guided for improved sales growth this year. And Barclays has posted better than expected quarterly revenue, thanks in part to strong results from investment banking, a business it hopes to grow and which has a significant US Presence. The British bank guided for higher profitability for the year and back in the U.S. president Trump is expected to outline his reciprocal tariffs on nations that have imposed levies on American exports today and will also get earnings from Airbnb, Coinbase, Deere and others. Coming up, President Trump's plan for Gaza leaves Arab states scrambling to put forward a more palatable alternative. The Journal's Summer Said joins us with that story after the break.
Advertiser
It's tax season, so what's new this year that could save you money? The IRS says that taxpayers spend 13 hours and $290 preparing and paying just for the tax prep, so it's worth looking into different options. On the youe Money Briefing podcast from the Wall Street Journal, we're breaking down the latest tax rules, how to keep your tax data safe, and ways to file for free. Catch our Series tax season 2025, what's new and everything else you need leading up to tax day on youn Money Briefing.
Luke Vargas
At first, Arab states flatly rejected President Trump's plan to take over Gaza. Egypt, Jordan, the UAE and Qatar said they wouldn't back the relocation of Palestinians, with Saudi Arabia adding that its opposition to the idea was non negotiable. But as Journal senior Middle east correspondent Summer said reports, leaders in the region are quickly waking up to the fact that Trump is serious about his proposal to permanently displace Palestinians, take over the territory and redevelop it as an international destination, kicking off a diplomatic scramble to work out an alternative. Sommer let's start by looking at Egypt's position in all of this. This is the one country besides Israel that borders Gaza, and President Trump has lately been saying in quite explicit terms that Palestinians would be sent to Egypt.
Summer Saeed
So Egyptian officials, just like the rest of the Arab world, the Europeans and much of the international community were completely taken off guard over the past two weeks as Trump threw out ideas, proposals and plans. This has pushed Egypt to lead a diplomatic blitz for a plan to rebuild Gaza, trying to squeeze out the political space for the now dubbed Riviera plan proposed by the Trump administration. And they do believe that there are several ways to help without displacing the.
Luke Vargas
Palestinians in terms of what an alternative proposal might look like. Egypt has now scheduled a summit of Arab leaders to be held on 27 February to discuss future options for the Palestinians. What do we know about their plans so far?
Summer Saeed
The plans have been to announce that we're going to have an international donor conference where you're going to have Gulf states, UN United nations representatives showing up in Cairo. So far, the plan is still being Drafted, but roughly is about reconstructing Gaza over the course of five years in stages without displacing the Palestinians. So they want to start first with the very basics, offering humanitarian zones for the Palestinians while they build. So they will start with for instance, sewage system, electricity, hospitals, some schools, and then take it from there.
Luke Vargas
And this summer is according to people familiar with the matter that you've spoken.
Summer Saeed
To, that's according to Egyptian officials and other Gulf officials that we've been speaking to.
Luke Vargas
I should point out as well, those sources are telling you that this would also potentially involve Palestinians who are trained by Arab forces to provide security, is that right?
Summer Saeed
Yes. There has been talks for months now where Egypt has actually said we will be willing to train Palestinians and to train at a later stage officials from the PA to go in and secure Gaza. But they are absolutely against the idea of sending soldiers or having a peacekeep missions because they do believe that could ultimately lead to confrontations or what they call Arab civil war between Egypt or other Arab forces and Hamas and other Palestinian factions inside Gaza.
Luke Vargas
Right. That seems like a source of a lot of anxiety here is preventing Hamas from taking control again. And that potential outcome does from your reporting seem like it is giving certain Arab states quite a bit of pause about whether to even push forward with this.
Summer Saeed
Yes. So Arab states or particularly Gulf countries have been quite anxious about pouring money inside Gaza while either Hamas is still in control or the pea taking over without actually showing real reforms inside the organizations.
Luke Vargas
This plan summer is obviously still in its infancy and as you point out, Egypt continues to say that a roadmap should be developed for an eventual Palestinian state. But the fact that they are moving ahead with arrangements here, or for instance that Jordan's king who was at the White House this week, said that it would work with Egypt and other governments to form their own plan, it marks quite a significant shift in sort of diplomatic positioning here, does it not?
Summer Saeed
So generally Egypt would not abrogate the demand for a Palestinian state and it will remain a fundamental part of the broader framework, political framework that the Egyptians, the Saudis and the Arab world will insist on. But if you speak to Egyptian officials, they believe it shouldn't be a precondition for the beginning of the reconstruction and they believe that reconstruction should start as soon as possible. Some of them are talking about even next month and they do believe that this is the only way to stop any outside plans to displace Palestinians rather than them waiting for months or possibly even years for a two state solution.
Luke Vargas
And finally summer, given that these very sensitive discussions about the future situation for the Palestinians are coming in the middle of the Gaza ceasefire, one that is really teetering on the brink of collapse. At the time when both Israel and Hamas were meant to be looking at phase two of this ceasefire and negotiating some longer term arrangements. What is the interplay between this regional diplomacy and that ceasefire? Could one affect the other?
Summer Saeed
Hamas wants the ceasefire to continue and they believe that Trump plans have created other possibilities for Israel. So they believe now that phase two will only happen with tremendous pressure from the US On Israel. And in their eyes, that's quite unlikely. So the atmosphere has actually shifted. Hamas is doubling down on some of their demands. We have seen how they came up and surprised everyone a few days ago and said they're not going to release hostages for Saturday. This issue is now being resolved, but I would expect as Trump continues making these statements that Hamas will definitely get more wary and less trusting of the process as a whole.
Luke Vargas
I've been speaking with Wall Street Journal senior Middle east correspondent Summer Saeed out and about today. I can hear your phone ringing off the hook there, always on the move. Summer, thank you so much.
Summer Saeed
Thank you.
Luke Vargas
And that's it for what's news for this Thursday morning. Today's show was produced by Daniel Bach and Kate Bullivant with supervising producer Christina Rocca. And I'm Luke Vargas for the Wall Street Journal. We will be back tonight with a new show. Until then, thanks for listening.
Episode Release Date: February 13, 2025
Host: The Wall Street Journal
Title: Trump Shakes Up Gaza Diplomacy
In the February 13, 2025, episode of WSJ What’s News, The Wall Street Journal delves into a spectrum of pressing issues shaping the global and economic landscape. From federal workforce changes and immigration battles to significant corporate movements and a deep dive into President Trump's controversial Gaza diplomacy plan, the episode offers comprehensive coverage of the day's most impactful stories.
The episode opens with the Trump administration's resurfacing buyout offer for federal workers. Luke Vargas reports that a federal judge in Massachusetts has lifted the freeze on the program, allowing it to proceed after ruling that labor unions lacked the legal standing to halt it.
“The administration’s buyout offer to over 2 million federal workers has closed as of 7 PM yesterday, with around 65,000 workers opting to resign,” Vargas explains (00:47).
A spokesperson for the Office of Personnel Management expressed satisfaction with the court’s decision, emphasizing the program’s closure.
In a significant escalation of the administration's immigration policies, a lawsuit has been filed against New York's key state officials, including the Department of Motor Vehicles Commissioner and State Attorney General Letitia James. This move is part of a broader strategy to challenge sanctuary cities.
Attorney General Pam Bondi criticized Governor Kathy Hochul for prioritizing illegal aliens over American citizens, stating, “New York has chosen to prioritize illegal aliens over American citizens” (00:59).
Governor Hochul defended her stance by affirming support for deporting criminals while advocating for the protection of law-abiding families. New York City Comptroller Brad Lander condemned the federal funding revocation as “highway robbery.”
The episode also touches on several notable corporate news:
Elon Musk has threatened to withdraw his $97.4 billion bid for OpenAI unless the company halts its transition to a for-profit model.
The U.S. housing market shows signs of weakness, with CoreLog reporting that nearly 73,000 homes were delisted in December, a 64% increase from the previous year.
Honda and Nissan have officially ended their planned merger, less than two months after its announcement. Foxconn has emerged as a potential partner for Nissan moving forward.
Robinhood shares surged by 50% this year following a significant rise in quarterly profits driven by post-election trading activity.
European giants Unilever, Nestle, and Barclays provided mixed updates, with Unilever moving forward with its ice cream business listing, Nestle experiencing its weakest organic sales growth in over two decades, and Barclays reporting better-than-expected quarterly revenue thanks to a robust investment banking sector.
The centerpiece of the episode is an extensive analysis of President Trump's controversial plan to take over Gaza, igniting a diplomatic crisis in the Middle East. Summer Saeed, the Wall Street Journal’s senior Middle East correspondent, offers expert insights into the unfolding situation.
Initially met with outright rejection from key Arab states—including Egypt, Jordan, the UAE, and Qatar—Trump’s plan aims to permanently displace Palestinians, overhaul governance in Gaza, and redevelop the region into an international destination.
“Trump is serious about his proposal to permanently displace Palestinians, take over the territory and redevelop it as an international destination,” Saeed explains (07:54).
Facing Trump’s assertive stance, Egypt has taken the lead in orchestrating a diplomatic blitz to present an alternative plan, known as the Riviera plan. This initiative focuses on rebuilding Gaza without displacing its Palestinian population, emphasizing humanitarian zones and infrastructure development over forced relocation.
“Egyptians believe reconstruction should start as soon as possible without making a Palestinian state a precondition,” Saeed notes (11:02).
Egypt plans to host a summit on February 27 to unify Arab leaders and outline a reconstruction roadmap, which includes:
The diplomatic turmoil coincides with a fragile Gaza ceasefire, with Hamas expressing skepticism about the sustainability of the peace process under Trump’s plans. Hamas demands additional concessions and remains distrustful of U.S.-led initiatives, potentially jeopardizing the ceasefire.
“Hamas is doubling down on some of their demands... They believe Trump plans have created other possibilities for Israel,” Saeed observes (12:06).
The tension underscores the delicate balance between regional diplomacy and on-the-ground peace efforts, highlighting the precarious nature of the current ceasefire.
The episode of WSJ What’s News adeptly navigates through a complex array of topics, from federal policy shifts and immigration legal battles to significant corporate maneuvers and high-stakes international diplomacy. The in-depth discussion on Trump’s Gaza plan and the robust response from Arab states underscores the intricate interplay between U.S. policies and Middle Eastern geopolitics, offering listeners a nuanced understanding of the region's evolving landscape.
Notable Quotes:
Luke Vargas: “The administration’s buyout offer to over 2 million federal workers has closed as of 7 PM yesterday, with around 65,000 workers opting to resign.” (00:47)
Pam Bondi: “New York has chosen to prioritize illegal aliens over American citizens.” (00:59)
Summer Saeed: “Trump is serious about his proposal to permanently displace Palestinians, take over the territory and redevelop it as an international destination.” (07:54)
Summer Saeed: “Egyptians believe reconstruction should start as soon as possible without making a Palestinian state a precondition.” (11:02)
Summer Saeed: “Hamas is doubling down on some of their demands... They believe Trump plans have created other possibilities for Israel.” (12:06)
This comprehensive summary encapsulates the key narratives and expert analyses presented in the episode, providing a clear and informative overview for those who haven't listened.